Friday, October 7, 2011

Day 2: Lists and Christmas, not to be confused with Christmas lists (which is much more fun)

By sharing my thoughts, fears, excitement as I go through this life changing adventure, I hope to allow others who share my journey to know that they are not alone.
This is quite possibly the scariest and most exciting thing I have ever embarked on.

Everyday is different for me which sometimes makes me feel like I have a multiple personality disorder. Yesterday was a good day, but I still felt a bit anxious when I thought too much about what needs to be done and what I am leaving behind... This process is definitely a mind trip. I can't think too much about it without feeling those prickles of anxiety creeping under my skin.

Today is good. It's Friday which means maybe I can cut out of work early and get home at a decent time. It also means that I have a lot more prep work to do. I have already boxed of my stuff up in preparation to be shipped, recent shipping quotes have laid that plan to rest so instead the boxes will go into storage. This shift in plans means I will be more discriminating with what I decide to keep as well as how things are boxed. Sound fun? My things have been in boxed since last November so imagine my surprise, it will be like Christmas day early.

To be better organized my plan is:

  • Candles all in one box to be stored at a climate controlled family members home to avoid meltiness later
  • Paperwork and filing to be minimized and excess to be shredded (a project which has unfortunately already been going on a few weeks) 
  • External hard drives to be updated, one to take and one to stay for back up.
  • Misc knick knacks can be thrown away, I don't need clutter.
The plan is to get everything I own into the cheapest, smallest storage locker I can find. That means, I'm only planning on keeping the "good stuff." 

Making these lists helps to keep the anxiety (a new condition for me) at bay. It might look silly but I have a plan, I know my next step, and with each strike through off the list, I find myself a little closer to my end goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment